It’s Mardi Gras season and carnivals season, and in France, for Mardi Gras, we eat sugar-covered fritter called “bugnes”! Here’s a low carb recipe for you to enjoy?
- 15 cl of milk
- 1 packet of dehydrated baker’s yeast
- 1 egg
- 350g of hulled barley flour
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of fructose
- 100g almond powder
- 2 tablespoons of orange blossom
- powered fructose (fructose powdered sugar) for the decoration
- Mix the yeast, milk, oil, orange blossom, flour, almond powder, salt, sugar and egg, then knead well.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface.
- Using a roulette wheel or a cookie cutter, cut out shapes in the dough.
- Place parchment paper on the baking sheet and place the fritters on it, making sure to space them out so that they don’t stick together during baking.
- Put them to rise for 1h30 in the oven at 40°C / 100°F .
- Then, turn up the oven to 220°C / 400°F, and put the fritters back in the oven for 8/9 minutes.
- When they come out of the oven, sprinkle some powdered fructose on the bugnes.
Bon appétit !